Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween and My Favorite Food...

...kind of a twist on the usual versions of my favorite foods anyway. Something to enjoy a bit of the harvest as well as some local and not so local foods; pizza!

It's All Hallows Eve once again and the lad is out with his Mum and friends so here I am waiting to see how the turnout will be in the new neighborhood and so far it's been pretty good, about 20 kids so I've given out about 1/2 the 150 piece bag of candy purchased for the evening. So, the jack o' lantern is lit, the dog is at my feet and I'm sitting in front of rerun TV. What do you think I could make for myself on such an evening? Another clue, I wanted to try a new sangiovese I just picked up but more on that later...

Northwest Fall Pizza
  • Dough
  • 3/4 Cup Warm Water
  • 1 Tbl Yeast
  • 2 Tbl Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/3 Cup All purpose four
  • 2/3 Cup Whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbl Kosher salt

  • Toppings
  • 2t tsp Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Large bosc pear, cored and sliced into 16 wedges
  • 2 oz Rogue creamery Oregon blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 Cup Walnuts, raw and chopped coarse
  • 2 slices Red onion, about 1/8 thick
  • Freshly ground black pepper

  1. Add the yeast and flour to the warm water in a food processor or mixer and pulse
  2. Add the kosher salt and knead together for about 4 to 6 minutes
  3. Let rest in an oiled bowl while covered with a towel, about 40 minutes

  1. Heat the oven with a pizza stone to 550F

  1. Divide the dough in half and roll out to about a 10" disc on a floured board
  2. Top the disc with 2tsp olive oil
  3. Arrange the pear wedges evenly over the olive oil
  4. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese and chopped walnuts
  5. Separate the onion slices into rings and arrange evenly over the top of the pie

  1. Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes
  2. Remove from the oven and let rest about 3 minutes and slice into wedges

Tonight I had this with a lovely $8.99 sangiovese from Italy but that's another post. Lets suffice it to say that this was a fine combination for a fall evening.

I do need to find my camera cable because even if I do say so myself, this was damn near as pretty as it was tasty

Hasta



No comments:

Post a Comment