Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pizza from last night

Asparagus pie w/ farmer cheese and shaved red onions



Last night's pie was a pretty spectacular spring treat if I do say so myself. I didn't grill it as I wanted to stick to tried and true method but it was certainly warm enough yesterday in the great PNW to have not fired up the oven inside but we got a late start so not too much heating up of the house. Anyway, as the above photo and caption tell the asparagus pie story visually, her is the recipe for this delight...

Asparagus pie
  • 1/2 Recipe pizza dough
  • 4oz Farmer cheese
  • 4oz Fresh asparagus
  • 1oz Thinly sliced red onion
  • 1 Tablespoon good olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Fresh cracked black pepper
  • Pinch gray salt

  1. Preheat oven & stone to 500F
  2. Snap the asparagus at the natural break
    Slice asparagus in half lengthwise
    Nuke asparagus for 45 seconds turning 1/2 way through
    Chill under cold running water to stop the cooking
  3. Roll the dough out very thin
  4. Top the dough with crumbled farmer cheese
  5. Arrange asparagus on top of the cheese
  6. Spread out the onion slices
  7. Drizzle with olive oil
  8. Grind the pepper over the pie and sprinkle lightly with the gray salt
  9. Bake for 6-8 minutes depending on the GBD* desired
  10. Let rest 2 minutes (if you can) then slice & eat

*Golden Brown Deliciousness


As expected, Henry went for the more traditional 1/2 cheese & 1/2 Salumi pepperoni then decided it too needed photographing so arranged the slices 1 cheese, 1 pepperoni, etc... Here is the outcome...


All in all a fine Friday meal with the lad and a fine start to another fabulous PNW weekend. Off to the farmer's market, the morels are in so maybe an asparagus & morel pie? Hmmm...

Hasta






3 comments:

  1. Holy Sh%t Jim! That Asparagus Pizza looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you haven't gone silent. I just found your blog about 10 days ago and I'm fascinated. I keep telling people about it, and checking back, hoping to find more. I realize the challenge you've given yourself is big, and you may not meet it every month (though it seems like you have?), but I see your success and it fires my enthusiasm for home made/grown.
    Wishing you well,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words of encouragement Laura. Life has just kind of gotten away from me lately so I'm trying to get back to it. Keep the comments coming, I love to hear from everyone

    Jim

    ReplyDelete