Thursday, February 26, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

Well, I can't say I had overly very high hopes for this even after hearing how good it is; it has instant pudding as an ingredient (Amish, I doubt it)?

Anyway I was given a bit of starter and very specific instructions for this by friend and blog follower Daniel so I faithfully carried along for the 10 day mush period and put it all together (never use metal in contact with the starter!) along with pulling out the recommended 4 batches of starter to share with 3 more friends and have a keeper for us. Well here I have to say I really like this! Forget for a bit that it is a sugar and oil filed pillow surrounded by more sugar and cinnamon while made dense with the additions of substantial egg-age. This is some fine eating. I have a wee munchkin that's been ill for the past 3 days and is showing no signs of immediate improvement but he cut through that enough to try this and got a big shit-eatin' grin on his mug and begged me to keep one of the starters and also send one to his Mum's house for them to make when he's there.

Well, I'm here to say that it appears that it is a good thing we can make it only every 10 days or so as it certainly isn't big on the healthy end (I did use all whole wheat flour for the finished product so at least we have that going for us) and it does have a packaged food mix in it (first since the new year began) but it makes a fine breakfast or snack. I'll be passing out the starter packages to my local friends and who knows? It might make it all the way around the world 1 starter bag at a time.

2 comments:

  1. We did the Amish friendship bread a couple of years back. It was good. We passed it around once but I think it died after that. Good thing the recipe is out all over the 'Net (for free!) if we decide to make it again.

    Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing, definitely not K-balanced! Maybe I'll try some the next go round.

    ReplyDelete